United States Traffic Data reveals projections for pedestrian deaths in 2019 at 6,590, many of which are caused by drivers who are distracted, driving recklessly, or exhibiting DUI behaviors. Statistical projections of traffic fatalities for 2019 shows that an estimated 36,120 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes. These numbers support legal intervention to provide financial relief to individuals who have lost loved ones, or have had their lives negatively impacted by serious injury from a car accident. Experienced Chicago car accident attorneys at Dinizulu Law Group can assist clients with necessary reporting forms and answer victims’ questions regarding bodily injury, property damage and catastrophic loss recovery options, and initiate litigation when an insurance settlement will not suffice.
Experienced car accident lawyers at Dinizulu Law Group assist car accident victims with damage recovery when an accident leaves them with short term and/or lifelong residual personal injury, property damage, or wrongful death losses. Overwhelming losses after a car accident can include financial debt related to medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, or funeral expenses when a car accident results in fatal injury.
Auto accident attorneys can sue for damage compensation on behalf of car accident victims, utilizing supporting Illinois State accident laws. Illinois is a “fault,” state with regard to auto accidents, and requires drivers to carry a minimum amount of property damage and liability auto insurance. Accident victims have the right to pursue a personal injury, or property damage claim against an at-fault driver. This is referred to as filing a “third-party” claim.
The State of Illinois follows the modified comparative negligence rule, where an individual recovers damages if they are 50% or less at fault for an accident. However, if they were more than 50% at fault, damages will not be recoverable from the other driver. Damage amounts will be based on the assignment of fault for proven claims of negligence associated with mishaps involving a motor vehicle accident. Car accident attorneys at Dinizulu Law Group can explain in layman’s terms how the law applies in each situation, and apprise victims of any variations to the imposed time constraints for filing legal actions in court. Chicago accident lawyers are instrumental in filing insurance claims, communicating with insurance adjusters, initiating legal action in court, and appearing at hearings and settlement meetings.
A car accident attorney will review the damage valuation determinations for auto insurance claims, and other accidents requiring the payment of:
- Compensatory damages for economic losses including lost wages, medical bills, medical care, and treatment, plus household expenses and non-economic losses that include pain and suffering, loss of consortium, or companionship.
- Punitive damages when a car accident lawyer can prove that a defendant deliberately, with reckless disregard, acted in a manner to cause harm to another person, punitive damages may be awarded based on the specifics of a case.
Statute of limitations.
When personal injury is caused by another driver, Illinois statute of limitations gives the victim two years from the date of the accident, but there can be exceptions so it is best to speak with Chicago car accident attorneys. If a legal claim is not filed before the set time period outlined therein, the state’s civil court system will refuse to hear the case unless there is an approved exception. Auto accident attorneys can apprise individuals of any deviations from state-specific timelines.
A car accident attorney can explain the importance of taking certain actions right after the mishap to strengthen a personal injury case by securing a collection of supporting documentation. They include:
- Evaluate for injuries, call emergency personnel.
- File accident report.
- Gather evidence at the scene, pictures of the cars, tag numbers and surrounding location.
- Collect witness contact information.
- Collect insurance information.
- Seek examination by a medical professional.
- Contact insurance carriers.
- Consult with an attorney.
Chicago car accident attorneys guide post-accident actions in the best interests of victims.
Personal injury case building.
Car accidents are often the result of the action, or inaction of another, and a victim may recover compensation if fault and/or liability is proven. Accident reports, witness testimony and medical reports are important documentation for a personal injury attorney to prove negligence after a car accident. Experienced car accident attorneys in Illinois have years of personal injury experience dealing with automobile accident claims, providing strong case actions in court that support higher monetary award requests. They can utilize expert testimony by accident scene re-constructionists, financial professionals, and medical professionals who can convey the need for higher awards based on catastrophic injury requiring lifelong medical treatment, prolonged pain and suffering, and continued negative impacts to financial stability caused by diminished, or lost present and future earnings.
Car accident attorneys will initiate a wrongful death legal action upon request for a decedent’s legal representatives and loved ones. These legal actions are initiated when a person dies as a result of the negligent, reckless, or deliberate act of another. Car accident lawyers can request necessary damages that cover medical bills, funeral and related expenses, lost wage compensation, pain and suffering, and punitive damages.
Hire legal counsel.
Auto accident insurance claims and personal injury litigation necessary to recover car accident damages, requires the services of competent lawyers. Experienced attorneys can build strong cases with supporting evidence, and objectively speak on a victim’s behalf in court, or with an insurance company’s legal team to yield a positive result.
The Dinizulu Law Group accident attorneys can review your medical bills, rehabilitation expenses, and take the time to understand your pre-accident lifestyle to better assess your pain and suffering damages. If you are speaking to insurance adjusters, or are seeking damages from negligent parties, it is important to understand the value of your claim. Dinizulu Law Group attorneys will consider:
- Medical Costs. Our Chicago Illinois accident law firm will review your medical bills and speak to experts and medical professionals to estimate the future value of medical expenses and costs. Sometimes the value of future medical expenses can even exceed the value of medical costs already incurred.
- Lost Wages. It is important to consider future lost wages as well as past lost wages. If you have to change jobs due to your injuries, the Chicago Illinois accident lawyers at Dinizulu Law Group can also seek damages for work re-training and other services you may need to change careers.
- Pain and Suffering. Pain and suffering damages compensate you for your pain, suffering, and losses due to your injuries. These damages are subjective claims that will be considered in a recovery, and are incredibly important. The extent of the pain and suffering recovery you may be entitled to receive will depend on the severity of your accident and the negative impacts to your livelihood. Pain and suffering damages are calculated using special formulas addressing the uniqueness of each claim.
Many factors will go into determining the value of your car accident claim. Before you settle with insurance adjusters, or accept a recovery from a negligent party, it is important to speak to car accident lawyer Chicago at the Dinizulu Law Group. Our attorneys will review police reports, identify possible stakeholders, and help you understand the insurance claims processes available and legal actions available for your case.
Identifying negligent parties.
Accident lawyers will identify all possible “at fault” parties to a vehicle accident and determine the best fiscal outcomes for their clients by pinpointing percentages of shared fault among each. Once this determination is made, the damages will be calculated toward a total damage compensation award for the accident victim. Negligent parties may include more than one individual, or entity in many instances. Chicago car accident attorneys will streamline the processes of investigating the accident, valuating the damages, and recovering insurance settlements, or court awards in a timely manner.
Legal counsel can protect your rights after a Chicago accident.
If you have suffered bodily injury, property damage, or lost a loved one in a car accident near Chicago, Illinois, it is important to seek legal counsel as soon as possible. You may only have a limited amount of time to pursue a lawsuit for your motor vehicle accident under Illinois’ statute of limitations laws. Call Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. today for guidance on your rights, insurance filing requirements, and legal options toward damage compensation.
Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd.
Address: 221 North LaSalle Suite 1100 Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: (312) 384-1920
Toll Free: 1-800-693-1LAW(1529)