The aging population that resides in Illinois nursing homes depend on staff members for a number of different things. From bathing to eating, to getting out of bed, nursing home residents rely on the healthcare workers in these facilities to assist them with most, if not all, of their day-to-day tasks. Without this help, a nursing home resident could become malnourished, weak, or even ill.
Nursing home residents who do not receive the proper care and supervision may be a victim of neglect.
If you think your loved one is a victim of neglect and they live in a nursing home in Chicago, IL, contact Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. One of our Chicago nursing home neglect lawyers would be happy to review your claim and determine if our legal assistance is needed. In the event a case of neglect exists, a lawyer would then review with you what your loved one’s legal rights are and how our firm can help protect them.
Examples of Neglect
Neglect happens when “caregivers don’t tend to an older person’s needs,” according to WebMD. Some examples of neglect might include:
- Not giving a resident an adequate amount of water.
- Not feeding a resident the recommended amount of meals. It is extremely important that nursing home residents are not only provided with the proper amount of meals but that the food they are given contains the nutrients and vitamins they need to stay healthy and strong.
- A resident is not receiving the medications he/she needs to battle their condition or maintain their overall health.
- A resident is left in bed for periods longer than recommended which increases their chances of developing bedsores. Nursing home residents who are bedridden or are unable to get out of bed without a healthcare worker’s assistance need to be moved regularly to prevent them from getting weak and developing unhealthy conditions like bedsores.
- A resident is left dirty and unbathed.
- Staff members fail to change a resident’s clothing regularly.
Signs of Neglect
Although neglect can sometimes be difficult to spot, WebMD offers a few signs to look out for that may be able to determine if your family member is not being properly cared for. Some signs of neglect might include:
- Your relative is messy or unclean. His/her clothes may be dirty, their hair may be messy, or they may have developed skin rashes.
- You notice a sudden drop in their weight, and they don’t appear to be hungry as often as they normally would be.
- He/she has developed bedsores.
- Your loved one is missing essential items such as their dentures, eyeglasses, hearing aids, or walker.
If you notice any of these signs while visiting your loved one and believe the changes might be attributed to neglect, it would be a good idea to bring this to the attention of the head nurse to find out more about it. If the head nurse doesn’t have an explanation or no one in the facility is eager to address your questions and concerns, consider contacting Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd.
Addressing a Case of Neglect
When a case of neglect exists, it can be addressed in many different ways. For starters, if a family member has solid evidence that points to neglect, they may wish to report the nursing home to the Illinois Department of Public Health or the state hotline.
- State Hotline
If you wish to report a case of abuse, neglect, or exploitation, you can call the 24-hour Elder Abuse Hotline at 1-866-800-1409. You can click here to view a list of items that may need to be provided when reporting the alleged neglect.
- Reporting to the Illinois Department of Public Health
If you don’t want to report a case of neglect but instead want to recognize a nursing home in Illinois for the poor-quality care it is providing to its residents, you can file a complaint against it by contacting the Illinois Department of Public Health. To file a complaint, call the Department’s toll-free hotline at 1-800-252-4343.
If you would like assistance with reporting a case of neglect or filing a complaint against a nursing home, don’t hesitate to contact one of our Chicago, IL nursing home abuse lawyers.
All nursing home residents have the right to live their lives free from abuse and neglect. If your relative’s rights have been violated and they have suffered as a result, it’s time you connect with our nursing home abuse law firm located in Chicago. If your loved one is being neglected, the matter must be addressed immediately so that the appropriate action can be taken to prevent your relative from suffering any longer. Contact our office today to learn more about how our skilled Chicago, IL nursing home abuse attorneys can help you.
Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. can be reached at:
221 North La Salle Drive, Suite 1100
Chicago, IL 60601