Several Chicago nursing homes have been recognized for the poor care they provide their residents with, their low staff-to-patient ratios, and even for the abusive and neglectful staff that is employed there. It is no secret that nursing homes continue to violate state and federal regulations which only puts our aging population more at risk of injury and death, yet with few being reprimanded harshly, it continues to occur. If you have an aging loved one living in a nursing home in Chicago, you may be wondering what some of the violations are that these facilities have been recognized for.
Based on data gathered from inspection reports provided by Medicare.gov, here are a few of the violations that been witnessed by inspectors:
- A facility failed to follow their CallLight Policy by neglecting to answer call lights for five out of 35 residents being observed in a timely manner, according to one report. As you know, residents are encouraged to use their call lights when they need help with anything or if something is wrong. When these call lights are ignored, it not only leaves a resident without the assistance they need but it could also be putting their life at risk.
- Another report highlighted that a facility failed to “develop andimplement a comprehensive person-centered care plan for each resident that is consistent with resident rights and that includes measurable objectives and timeframes to meet a resident’s medical, nursing, and mental and psychosocial needs.” Five out of 35 residents were unaware of what this care plan was even though the staff at the facility should have been reviewing theirs with them. Residents have certain needs and when the staff ignores them or disregards them, it only makes living in a nursing home risker for the resident.
- A third report that was reviewed showed that a facility “failed to provideassistance in ensuring a resident’s dignity for two residents” out of the 36 that were observed. The inspection report cited that these residents were left with food and saliva on their clothes or beds and no tissue or cloth was provided for them to clean up with.
- A fourth report revealed that a facility “failed to follow its policy for labeling opened medication with the date for multi-use.” All medications have an expiration date, however, some expire quicker once they are opened. If nursing home staff members are opening medicine for the first time and failing to document the date, they could be administering expired medications to their residents.
- The fifth report that was reviewed highlighted that a facility “failed to follow its puree
food preparation policy” which put all residents at risk. The fact is, many nursing home residents require their food to be pureed as any food that isn’t poses as a choking hazard. Therefore, those residents who attempt to eat food that is not properly prepared for them are at risk of choking and potentially dying.
Something you should keep in mind is that these are only some of the violations that nursing homes are recognized for. Nursing homes in Chicago, IL are often cited for many other violations which is why it is essential that you visit your loved one on a regular basis and even take advantage of Medicare’s nursing home compare tool.
How can Medicare’s nursing home compare tool help me?
Whether you have your husband or wife, mother or father, or another elderly relative living in a nursing home in Chicago, it is important to familiarize yourself with the tools that are available to you so that you can check regularly on how the nursing home is rated and what violations it has been recognized for. When you visit Medicare.gov and use their nursing home compare tool, you can search for homes in specific cities all across the U.S. and see how they rank based on Medicare’s five-star rating system. With this tool, you too have the ability to read past inspection reports and see exactly what some homes might be doing wrong.
Taking the time to check these reports can help give you some insight into what is actually happening in these homes as opposed to what you see when you visit your loved one. The fact is, you won’t always be able to identify when your loved one is living in unsafe or unsanitary conditions if the staff at the home knows you visit often. However, the reports that are published for the public to view can’t hide what is really happening behind those walls. With that said, you are encouraged to look up your loved one’s facility using Medicare’s search tool and read the recent reports that have published.
Who can help me if I believe my loved one isn’t being treated properly by nursing home staff?
If you have a nursing home abuse or neglect case on your hands, the attorneys at Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. want to help you address the issue and get it resolved. There are many ways in which our Chicago, IL nursing home abuse lawyers can help you recognize a facility and/or specific staff members for their negligence or inappropriate behavior, and we would be happy to explain to you what those are to you. Therefore, if you are ready to schedule an initial consultation so that you can learn more about what our firm does and how we combat nursing home abuse and neglect in Chicago, contact us at 1-312-384-1920.
Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. is located at:
221 North La Salle Drive, Suite 1100
Chicago, IL 60601