You’ve found out your loved one is being mistreated by a nursing a nursing home staffer and now you’re in a state of panic. What do you do? Who do you contact? How do you prevent the abuse from recurring?
These are among some of the most common questions that are asked after abuse is discovered and those our Chicago, IL nursing home abuse lawyers are prepared to address.
Who should I contact after finding out my loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse?
If you’re looking for immediate help, whether it is because you believe your loved one’s health or even life is at risk, you can always call 911. When you call 911, an officer will be dispatched to the nursing home where he/she shall write up a report. Be sure to disclose all the details that led to your discovery of the abuse so that this can be included in the report.
In addition to or in lieu of calling 911, you can also contact Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. at 1-312-384-1920. Our firm accepts calls 24/7 so you can feel confident in knowing someone will be able to offer you help and guidance during this difficult and confusing time. Generally, it is a good idea to call 911 in addition to contacting our office if a crime has been committed and involves your loved one.
Crimes might include physical assault and sexual assault.
What agencies in Illinois assist with cases involving nursing home abuse?
If you’re looking for immediate help, the Chicago nursing home abuse attorneys at Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. are here to help. However, there are agencies located within the State of Illinois that are also able to assist with abuse-related matters, some of which are listed down below.
- Illinois Department on Aging (IDOA)
The IDOA has made available to the public a Senior HelpLine. The number to the Senior HelpLine is 1-800-252-8966 and provides abuse intake. You can also call the Adult Protective Services Hotline at 1-866-800-1409 to report suspected abuse of a person who is 60 years of age or older.
- Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
The IDPH is in charge of investigating “quality care issues, such as allegations of actual or potential harm to patients, patient rights, infection control, and medication errors.” While the IDPH does limit the types of cases it investigates, it may be able to help in cases stemming from elder abuse.
If you wish to file a formal complaint with the IDPH, you can do so in any of the following ways:
- By telephone. You can call 800-252-4343 to report the abuse allegations.
- By mail. While filing a complaint by mail will prolong the process, it is an option afforded to you. To file a complaint with the IDPH by mail, download the Healthcare Facilities Complaint Form by clicking here and mailing it to the following address:
Illinois Department of Public Health
Office of Health Care Regulation
Central Complaint Registry
525 W. Jefferson St., Ground Floor
Springfield, IL 62761-0001
- Fax. Your complaint form can be faxed to the following number: 217-524-8885.
- By e-mail. Forms can be emailed to [email protected].
What are some things a Chicago, IL nursing home abuse lawyer will do to help a loved one who is a victim of elder abuse?
The individuals who reside in nursing homes depend on those that work there to provide them with care and assistance. Many are vulnerable and unable to do for themselves. At Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd., we are advocates for those who are unable to speak up and defend themselves against the very people they seek help from each and every day.
At our firm, you can count on our legal experts to do the following:
- Identify whether a valid case exists. This will require a thorough investigation which may include gathering medical records, taking witness statements, etc.
- Help you and your loved one exercise your legal rights. If a case exists, we will review with you the options available to you and/or your loved one. This might include filing a personal injury lawsuit against the nursing home. If you decide to pursue legal action, we can help you value your case by determining what damages your loved one is entitled to. This might include pain and suffering, mental anguish, etc.
- Represent you and/or your loved one in court. Going up against a nursing home and its lawyers isn’t always easy, but you can rest assured we will fight hard to defend your loved one’s rights.
If you believe your loved one was abused by one or more nursing home staffers in Chicago, we urge you to contact Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. so that we can begin working on your case. Time is of the essence in these types of cases as we wouldn’t want any pertinent evidence to disappear or have your loved one continue to be supervised by the person who caused them harm.
You can contact Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. at:
221 North La Salle Drive, Suite 1100
Chicago, IL 60601