Finding the perfect nursing home for an elderly loved one is not easy. On the surface, many of these facilities seem comfortable and safe; however, appearances can be deceiving – and all it takes is one poorly trained or negligent staff member to injure a resident.
Sadly, nursing home abuse and neglect are deplorably common in the United States. According to the National Center on Elder Abuse, more than half of nursing home staff members admitted to mistreating their older patients within the previous year – and two-thirds of those incidents involved neglect. What’s more, the National Council on Aging estimates that only 1 in 14 cases of elder abuse are reported to authorities.
If you or your loved one was neglected or abused in an Illinois nursing home, turn to The Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. Yao O. Dinizulu is a nursing home abuse attorney in Chicago who will evaluate your case to determine if you have grounds for a claim against the at-fault facility or staff member.
You may be entitled to compensation for health-care expenses and other damages. Call 312-384-1920 to schedule a consultation.
5 Common Signs of Nursing Home Neglect
When our loved ones enter nursing homes, we expect their caregivers to be well-trained, professional and ethical. Unfortunately, some long-term care facilities do not supervise their caregivers thoroughly, and it is not uncommon for money-strapped nurses to financially exploit their patients.
Neglect can be just as deadly as physical battery. Common examples of nursing home neglect include:
- Social neglect, which occurs when a nursing home resident is denied social interaction;
- Hygienic neglect, which occurs when caregivers do not provide for a resident’s hygienic needs;
- Basic needs neglect, which occurs when a resident is denied food, water or a clean living environment; and
- Medical neglect, which occurs when a resident is denied reasonable health care.
It is not always easy to notice the signs of nursing home neglect. If your loved one is in a long-term care facility, look out for these symptoms of mistreatment:
- Persistently poor hygiene, such as overgrown nails or un-brushed teeth;
- Unsanitary or unsafe living conditions, including dirty linens or an untidy kitchen;
- Poor health due to malnutrition or dehydration;
- Bedsores due to a lack of movement; and
- Psychological issues that were not present before entering the nursing home.
If your family member was injured or died due to nursing home neglect or abuse in Illinois, contact The Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. Yao O. Dinizulu is a nursing home abuse attorney in Chicago who will help you pursue justice and compensation.
Our team of lawyers for nursing home neglect will help you avoid mistakes such as signing a general release, overlooking certain damages, accepting a low settlement, or making recorded statements to insurance adjusters. Call 312-384-1920 to schedule a consultation.