CHICAGO, IL – Being involved in a pedestrian accident where a car strikes a pedestrian, can be a life-altering experience. The impact can lead to severe injuries, emotional distress and financial burdens.
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), there were 4,940 crashes involving pedestrians in 2017 (the most recent year for which data is available) and 148 pedestrian deaths.
Common pedestrian accident injuries
Being hit by a car as a pedestrian can result in a variety of serious injuries, some of which can be life-altering. Understanding the potential injuries that pedestrians may suffer is crucial in recognizing the impact these accidents can have on victims’ lives.
Common pedestrian accident injuries may include:
- Fractures and broken bones including arms, legs, hips and ribs, due to the force of the impact from a collision with a car.
- Head and brain injuries are common as a person’s head is vulnerable in pedestrian accidents, leading to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), concussions, skull fractures and other head-related injuries. These injuries can have long-lasting cognitive, physical and emotional effects.
- Spinal cord injuries lead to paralysis or loss of sensation in certain parts of the body. These types of injuries require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation most of the time.
- Soft tissue injuries including sprains, strains and contusions lead to pain, swelling and limited mobility.
- Internal injuries include organ damage, abdominal injuries or internal bleeding. These injuries may not always present themselves right away and require medical attention.
Who is at fault when a car hits a pedestrian?
Determining fault in a pedestrian accident is critical in seeking compensation for the injured pedestrian. The responsibility for the car accident lies with the negligent party or reckless behavior that led to the collision.
It’s essential to gather evidence to establish liability, including:
- Witness statements
- Surveillance footage
- Police reports
While drivers are often presumed responsible, pedestrians must also act with caution and abide to traffic rules. A knowledgeable personal injury lawyer at the Dinizulu Law Group can help you determine fault and seek fair compensation for your damages.
What should a pedestrian do after being hit by a car?
Being involved in a pedestrian accident can be a traumatic experience, but it’s important to take specific steps to protect your well-being and legal rights.
Here is a list of actions pedestrians should take after being hit by a car:
- Seeking medical attention should be your top priority. Even if you feel fine, it’s essential to get medical attention immediately to identify any hidden injuries.
- Contact the authorities to report the incident. This creates a record of the accident which will help your claim.
- Gather contact information from the driver and any witnesses. Take photos of the accident scene including vehicle damage and any visible injuries.
- Preserve evidence related to the accident including any personal belongings and documentation provided by medical professionals.
- Document the incident and write down your account of the accident while it’s still fresh in your memory. Include any details of the location, time, weather conditions and the sequence of events.
- Notify your insurance company, even if you weren’t at fault.
- Consult with a personal injury attorney who can guide you through the legal process to help you file an insurance claim.
Every pedestrian accident is unique, and seeking personalized legal assistance can help you receive fair compensation for your injuries. The team of dedicated personal injury attorneys at the Dinizulu Law Group are here to provide you with the support and guidance you need during this difficult time.
Contact a Chicago pedestrian accident lawyer today
Pedestrian accidents involving cars can have devastating consequences, leaving victims with severe injuries, emotional trauma, and financial burdens. Understanding the steps to take after being hit by a car is essential for protecting your rights and pursuing the compensation you deserve.
Determining fault in these cases can be difficult, but with the guidance of a skilled personal injury lawyer from the Dinizulu Law Group, you know you can navigate the legal process with confidence.
Contact our law firm today for a free consultation at (312) 384-1920.