CHICAGO, IL – One of the most common questions attorneys receive when representing a client is “when will this case be over?” While some cases are resolved in a decent timeframe, others cases, such as personal injury, may proceed to trial which can take several years. A lawsuit can be a lengthy and drawn-out process, so it’s important to consult with an experienced Chicago personal injury attorney on your case.
Why lawsuits can take long
Personal injury cases take some time to settle or resolve. The reasons a case can progress slowly can be summed up into three general points:
- Your case is slowed down by legal or factual problems
- Your case involves a lot of damages and substantial compensation
- You have not reached maximum medical improvement from your injuries
Factors that affect the length of lawsuits
Some factors that may affect the potential length of lawsuit include:
- The more complicated your case is, it may take longer to resolve. For example, a car accident case may be resolved much quicker than a medical malpractice case.
- You may need to wait until you have reached the maximum medical improvement before filing a lawsuit. This ensures you know the full extent of your injuries and their impact on your life before you try to resolve your claim.
- If your demand for compensation is within the insurance policy limits, your case may settle more quickly than if high amounts of damages are involved.
- Depending on your jurisdiction, you may have to wait longer for available court dates depending on caseload.
Understandably, lawsuits can cause anxiety and can be foreign to parties involved. If you suffered from a personal injury, you may have extensive medical bills and gotten behind on other financial obligations because you haven’t been able to work. It’s important to note once you accept a settlement offer from an insurance company, you cannot go back and attempt to collect money later.
It’s important to consult with a skilled personal injury attorney in Chicago, Illinois who can help calculate the full extent of your damages and explain the full extent of your injuries and how it can impact your future so you understand the value of a claim.
Contact the Dinizulu Law Group!
If you have suffered a personal injury because of someone else’s negligence, our dedicated team is here to assist you. Our attorneys will explain your legal rights, advise you of your options and do everything possible to get your claim resolved in a timely manner while fighting for a fair resolution. Contact us today for your free case review with the Dinizulu Law Group!