The first time you check your elderly relative into a nursing home, you are bound to feel a little anxious. After all, this is an important person who has played a major role in your life – and your loved one deserves reliable care in a safe, comfortable environment.
Unfortunately, many nursing homes are understaffed or provide insufficient training to their employees. Some nursing homes do not screen employees properly, and residents end up with caregivers who lack the experience to meet their needs.
These and other factors often lead to nursing home abuse, neglect and exploitation. According to a 2012 study in the Journal of Elder Abuse & Neglect, more than 24 percent of people aged 65 and older reported at least one incident of abuse while living in a nursing home.
If you or a family member was mistreated in an Illinois nursing home, contact The Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. Yao O. Dinizulu is an elder abuse lawyer in Chicago who will help you pursue justice and compensation from the at-fault staff member or facility.
Mr. Dinizulu will evaluate your case, gather evidence, interview witnesses and help you recover the maximum compensation you deserve. Call 312-384-1920 to schedule a consultation.
Important Evidence in Nursing Home Abuse Cases
The success of your nursing home abuse lawsuit will hinge on the strength of your evidence. Over time, evidence may disappear or become available, so it is important that you contact an elder abuse lawyer as soon as possible. Your attorney may use the following evidence to support your claim:
- Witness testimonies from nursing home residents and staff members;
- Photos of injuries;
- Medical records that prove sexually transmitted diseases;
- Results of a medical evaluation;
- Testimonies from medical and financial experts;
- Bank statements that show financial transfers to a caregiver’s account; and
- CCTV camera footage that shows neglect or physical abuse.
3 Factors to Prove in a Nursing Home Abuse Case
Nursing home abuse takes many forms including physical battery, sexual abuse, financial exploitation and neglect. Although each case is unique, all plaintiffs in these cases must prove these three factors:
- The nursing home owed you relative a duty of care;
- That staff of the nursing home breached that duty of care by either doing something they should not have, or by failing to do what was required of them; and
- You suffered an injury or loss as a result of the breach of duty.
If you or a loved one was abused, neglected or exploited in an Illinois nursing home, contact The Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd to discuss your legal options. Yao O. Dinizulu is an elder abuse lawyer in Chicago who will help you claim the maximum compensation for medical expenses and other damages.
Mr. Dinizulu will help you avoid mistakes during the claims process such as accepting a low settlement, signing a general release or providing recorded statements. Call 312-384-1920 today to schedule a consultation.