Nursing home abuse and neglect is a serious matter and it is vital you become aware of how to recognize when a loved is being harmed.
As much as we would like to trust the healthcare system with our loved ones and believe they are in good hands, there are too many accounts of elder abuse happening. That means those who have a family member living in a long-term care facility need to be aware of what to look for so you can protect and help your loved one. Illinois has already been identified as a state with a large number of elder abuse cases which is why the nursing home abuse attorneys at the Dinizulu Law Group in Chicago have some tips to share with you on how to spot what might be considered as nursing home mistreatment or neglect.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Although a bruise isn’t always a sign that your elderly loved one is being abused or neglected, if you begin to see other signs that all point to abuse, that bruise may very well be from mistreatment.
Some signs our nursing home negligence lawyers want you to keep an eye out for include:
- If you witness a change in behavior in your loved one. Visiting them on a continual basis is not only enjoyable for them, but allows you to detect a difference in their behavior should one be present.
- If your loved one is agitated, irritable, frustrated, or aggressive, ask why.
- Although dementia is common in senior citizens, if they mention that they were hurt, abused, or neglected, take the comment seriously. Investigate and if necessary, call us up and let one of our skilled Chicago nursing home neglect attorneys help you investigate further.
- If you begin to notice other marks on your loved one that continue to show up, report these to the nurses and even the administration department and then contact us. Our attorneys are ready to help you file a nursing home lawsuit if need be.
Tips to keep in mind when choosing a nursing home for your loved one.
If you are in the process of choosing a facility to serve as a caretaker for your loved one, don’t rush with your decision, even if the hospital is attempting to discharge them quickly. To help you in your decision-making process, below are tips to consider:
- Before selecting a facility, schedule a visit, meet with the staff, and check for overall cleanliness of the facility.
- Don’t hesitate to inquire about which floor your relative will be housed on, the room they will stay in, and if you can see it.
- Visit this government website that provides information about the nursing homes in Chicago: https://www.medicare.gov/nursinghomecompare/search.html.
The Dinizulu Law Group has been helping victims of elder abuse and families of these individuals file nursing home lawsuits to help seek justice and recognize a person and/or facility for their misconduct. If you or someone you know is being abused, whether it is physically or verbally, during their stay in a nursing home, we want to assist you. Give us a call at 1-312-384-1920 and learn how we can help you combat the recurring issue of nursing home abuse in Chicago.