When we think of nursing home neglect we commonly think of elderly residents not being provided the needed physical care such as:
- Repositioning, if they face limited mobility, thus leading to bed sores and open wounds
- Clean and changed clothes and linens, if they are incontinent or have difficulty using the bathroom
- Dehydration or malnourishment due to a lack of fluid or food intake
These are all serious concerns that a knowledgeable and experienced nursing home neglect attorney will be able to help you with. The Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. has successfully represented over hundreds of clients facing nursing home neglect. The verdicts and settlements we have reached have helped families move forward after a very difficult time in their lives.
But you should also know about another form of neglect that we don’t typically think of. Elderly residents may be kept in isolation at a nursing home even if their meals are properly provided, they appear clean, and all their health needs are attended to. Limiting residents from participating in social activities, preventing interaction, or offering little to no mental stimulation also constitutes as nursing home neglect. Nursing homes are liable if they keep a resident confined to their room, or bed.
The same also applies if the nursing home takes retaliatory action when a resident participates in certain social activities. Examples include verbal abuse, refusing to serve food on time, or if at all, after a resident participates in certain activities.
To watch out for this form of nursing home neglect, here’s what you can be mindful of when you visit mom or dad:
- Does your loved one seem placed in an isolated part of the facility?
- Do you see the nursing home staff attend to your family member in a timely manner?
- Is your loved one afraid to speak in front of staff?
- Does your loved one show a lack of interest in what used to his or her favorite activities?
If you notice these signs among other symptoms, contact our Chicago nursing home neglect attorneys. Conveniently located in downtown Chicago, the Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. has recovered over millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements on behalf of wronged clients. Contact us by phone at 1 (312) 384-1920 or 1 (800) 693-1LAW or reach us by email to schedule a free initial consultation.