If your loved one is in a nursing home in Chicago, IL, you probably visit them regularly to check in, and spend quality time with them and stay on top of their living conditions, right? While things may appear to be going well, it is important to be aware of what’s going on under the surface.
Sometimes family members aren’t aware of the harmful conditions their elderly loved ones are living in because the nursing home resident is scared to speak about it. In other instances, the resident may not even be aware that the conditions they are living in don’t meet the standard level of care that the facility claims to provide. Conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia often times prevent nursing home residents from remembering things that happen throughout the day. Therefore, such residents are unable to convey the neglect or abuse they may be facing to their loved ones.
The nursing home neglect attorneys of the Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. in Chicago recommend looking for these red flags to spot nursing home abuse or mistreatment:
- The living conditions are unsanitary. If the floors, restrooms, utensils, etc. appear to be dirty or uncleaned, they may very well be.
- Your loved one has poor personal hygiene. We all know that some of the individuals who go to live in a nursing home are only able to provide little to no care for themselves. This means they need assistance with bathing, brushing their teeth, putting on clean clothes, and having their bed sheets switched out regularly or when they become soiled. If you notice that your loved one has an odor or they don’t look as though they are being cleaned or taken care of, this might be a sign of neglect.
- If your loved one looks overly fatigued, weak, or dehydrated, they may be experiencing a lack of nutrition, which is also a form of neglect.
- Unexplained injuries. If your loved one is being properly monitored and assisted with doing things, they shouldn’t fall, bump into objects, or sustain injuries.
- Your loved one is timid or acts afraid when they are around their caregivers.
If you believe your loved one might be suffering from neglect or even abuse while living in a nursing home in Chicago, you can get a free consultation from our Chicago nursing home abuse attorneys. With over 50 years of combined experience, the nursing home trial attorneys at the Dinizulu Law Group, Ltd. have the expertise to fight on your behalf. Nursing homes will often give you the run-around and never acknowledge the harm they have done. With skilled nursing home neglect attorneys on your side, you can get justice for your loved one. Contact us at 1-312-384-1920 or email us to get the help you deserve.